Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Postgresql + containerization possible use case
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Berto,

On 13/12/21 3:03 μ.μ., Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 12:41, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
Hmm, I don't know about that. The hardware is given (existing) and limited.
You are like the 2nd person who warned about comms as being an issue with docker/containers.

Quick question: do those ships ever touch port? If so, it's not a fact that you have to rely on sat com to do updates. Just keep an on-shore table of updates and do the updates every time a ship is in a port and can use a normal port wifi com. IMHO this would be the safest option EVEN if satcom was free of cost, as it will never be half as stable as a land based com line.

Yes they do touch port, otherwise they would be of little commercial value!
I am confused here : Are we talking about traffic due to :
a) normal business traffic (designed by me/us old system based on DBMirror)
b) system updates due to some decision of the system itself and/or our team
c) normal app shipping via new images, or new .ear/.war or whatever
?
And since you are not deploying the same thing everywhere (you quote different HW everywhere, so hardly one image could be optimised for everything), you are going to need to test upgrades for each ship, which is both dangerous and expensive, if done on sat com.

We are deploying the same exact app everywhere (jboss), but of course exim4, etc other services will be specific for every ship.

My 5p
Berto

--
Achilleas Mantzios