Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Weird issues when reading UDT from stored function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Weird issues when reading UDT from stored function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> Hm, I've browsed through the code and it seems that the current behaviour
> was implemented on purpose.

Yes, it's 100% intentional.  The idea is to allow function authors to
use OUT-parameter notation (in particular, the convention of assigning
to a named variable to set the result) without forcing them into the
overhead of returning a record when all they want is to return a scalar.
So a single OUT parameter is *supposed* to work just like a function
that does "returns whatever" without any OUT parameters.

Even if you think this was a bad choice, which I don't, it's far too
late to change it.