Re: LOST REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: LOST REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jimmie H. Apsey" <japsey@futuredental.com> writes:
>> Each FK constraint should have three associated triggers (two on the
>> referencing table, one on the referenced table).

> OH, that's very scary for me that triggers can vanish/be eliminated w/o
> my direct action.  Yes, I do now see that the triggers on my production
> table have been lost.  I built a test table and they appear as
> expected.  Is there any way I can prevent this or become aware that
> something had done this to my production database?

If you are still running 7.1 you obviously do not know the meaning of
the word "fear" ;-) --- it not only has lots of since-fixed bugs, but
at that time we hadn't yet solved the transaction ID wraparound problem,
which means your DB is guaranteed to self-destruct once you reach the
4-billion-transaction mark.

I'd recommend an upgrade to 7.4.5 at your earliest convenience.

            regards, tom lane