Re: Application written in pure pgsql, good idea? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan de Visser
Subject Re: Application written in pure pgsql, good idea?
Date
List pgsql-general
On March 1, 2015 09:45:24 AM inspector morse wrote:
> This is just for fun/research, I don't need a web framework because PHP is
> actually picking up the incoming requests and sending it to a pgsql stored
> function. The pgsql will concatenate all the html that is required for the
> page and send it back to PHP to write out to the response.
>
> My main concern is, since there will be a lot of concatenation in pgsql to
> generate the HTML, would it affect performance?

Again, performance is the least of your concerns. Building HTML from raw
strings is, except in the smallest of toys, an exercise in frustration. And in
those toys performance won't be an issue anyway.

Save yourself a bunch of aggravation and let PHP do the HTML for you. It's
good at it. pl/pgsql isn't.