Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date
Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?  (Andrew Rawnsley <andrew.rawnsley@investoranalytics.com>)
Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?  (Bob <luckyratfoot@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
>> The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
>> databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
>> say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
>> storage engine...

> It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who
> will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle
> for free?

People who can't figure out how to configure Postgres are not likely to
get far with Oracle ;-).  Unless Oracle has made some *huge* strides in
ease of installation/administration with 10g, I see this making
practically no dent in MySQL.  Or PG for that matter.  All they're
really likely to accomplish is to cannibalize some of their own low-end
sales.

            regards, tom lane