Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:

> The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
> databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
> say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
> storage engine...

It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who
will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle
for free? Remember, the "open source" aspect "can fix it yourself" isn't
really existent in the MySQL world, so those customers aren't really
looking for open source, they are looking for cheap or free. With the
control over InnoDB, Oracle has an influence on what XE is competing
against. Both offers compete with MS SQL Express as well, so they hit a
lot of small database competition with one stone.

Jan