Re: with and trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: with and trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
PegoraroF10 <marcos@f10.com.br> writes:
> We like to use With to insert, update and return some value to user. But some
> informations of those related tables are not available on that time, is that
> a bug ?

No, see the "WITH Clause" section of the SELECT reference page:

    The primary query and the WITH queries are all (notionally) executed
    at the same time. This implies that the effects of a data-modifying
    statement in WITH cannot be seen from other parts of the query, other
    than by reading its RETURNING output. If two such data-modifying
    statements attempt to modify the same row, the results are
    unspecified.

This doesn't explicitly talk about triggers, but I think our attitude
about the case you're discussing is that the results are unspecified.
If a trigger fired in one WITH arm tries to look at the table(s)
modified by other WITH arms, it might or might not see those changes.

            regards, tom lane