Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> So basically the only thing needed from Robert & you seems to change
> "11.0" to "11devel", which is fine with me.
> The attached v5 does that.

I think you are taking unreasonable shortcuts here:

+    SetVariable(pset.vars, "SERVER_VERSION_NAME", PQparameterStatus(pset.db, "server_version"));

The existing code in connection_warnings() does this:
           const char *server_version;
           /* Try to get full text form, might include "devel" etc */           server_version =
PQparameterStatus(pset.db,"server_version");           /* Otherwise fall back on pset.sversion */           if
(!server_version)          {               formatPGVersionNumber(pset.sversion, true,
 sverbuf, sizeof(sverbuf));               server_version = sverbuf;           }

and I think you should duplicate that logic verbatim.  Now admittedly,
server_version has been available for a long time, so that this might
never matter in practice.  But we shouldn't be doing this one way
in one place and differently somewhere else.