Re: timestamp indexing

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: timestamp indexing
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

timestamp indexing  (Tobias Brox, )
 Re: timestamp indexing  (Michael Fuhr, )
  Re: timestamp indexing  (Tobias Brox, )
   Re: timestamp indexing  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: timestamp indexing  (Tobias Brox, )
     Re: timestamp indexing  (Tobias Brox, )
      Re: timestamp indexing  ("Jim C. Nasby", )

Tobias Brox <> writes:
>> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

> Also answered in my follow-up - "not yet pg8" :)

Your followup hasn't shown up here yet, but if the query is written like
    WHERE timestampcol >= now() - interval 'something'
then the pre-8.0 planner is not capable of making a good estimate of the
selectivity of the WHERE clause.  One solution is to fold the timestamp
computation to a constant on the client side.

            regards, tom lane