Re: List schema contents - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: List schema contents
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:55:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd be the first to agree that the behavior of \d isn't particularly
>> orthogonal, but it's not the pattern language that's the problem, it's
>> the command itself.

> Perhaps \d without an argument should just do whatever \dtsv does?

That's exactly what it does ... without an argument.  The
non-orthogonality is that adding an argument changes the printout style,
instead of just determining which objects are displayed.  See the psql
man page:
        Note: If \d is used without a pattern argument, it is        equivalent to \dtvs which will show a list of all
      tables, views, and sequences. This is purely a convenience measure.