Re: machine-readable explain output v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: machine-readable explain output v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Andres Freund<andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> - Currently a value scan looks like �Values Scan on "*VALUES*"� What about
>> adding its alias at least in verbose mode? This currently is inconsistent with
>> other scans.

> I don't know why this doesn't work, but I think it's unrelated to this patch.

If you mean something like

regression=# explain select * from (values(1)) ss;                        QUERY PLAN
width=4)
(1 row)

I think the reason is that the alias applies to a SubqueryScan node that
later gets optimized away.  The VALUES per se doesn't have an alias.