Re: database files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: database files
Date
List pgsql-general
jearl@bullysports.com writes:
> Gail Zacharias <gz@clozure.com> writes:
>> Is the file format of the pgsql database files compatible between
>> OS's?  E.g. could I take some database files from Linux and use them
>> on Windows?

> I don't know the answer to that, but I would be interested in finding
> out.

I don't think there are any OS dependencies per se, but there are
certainly hardware dependencies (forget moving between Intel and PPC
without a dump/reload, for example).  And there are compiler
dependencies, so theoretically you could run into problems even for
two different systems on the same hardware platform.

I concur with the recommendation to use pg_dump scripts as the vehicle
for moving data.

            regards, tom lane