Re: cursors on prepared queries - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Jeroen T. Vermeulen
Subject Re: cursors on prepared queries
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, September 12, 2006 17:18, Andro wrote:

> PREPARE plan_name(int) AS SELECT * FROM abc WHERE a = $1;
> DECLARE cur CURSOR FOR EXECUTE(3);

(You'd probably also want to mention the name of the prepared statement
that you're executing somewhere :)

> Is something wrong or is it just not supported by postgres?
> Manual talks about read only cursors but I didn't find out discussions
> about
> "anti-prepared-statement-cursors".

Well, the documentation for DECLARE says that the query that cursor
executes must be a "SELECT command"--not that I personally know the
reasons behind it:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-declare.html

Jeroen