Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/copy.sgml rc/bac ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/copy.sgml rc/bac ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
> COPY to STDOUT/STDIN will be controlled by the client end-of-line
> because those files are opened in text mode by the client, I think.

Actually, I was going to question you on that before.  AFAICT, the
just-committed code will *only* send LF newlines during COPY TO STDOUT,
independent of the server's OS, the client's OS, or anything else.

This is perhaps justifiable on the grounds that "the FE/BE protocol
spec says LF and not anything else", and I didn't complain because
I assumed that was your thinking.  But your response to Neil doesn't
suggest that you're thinking that way.  What exactly do you have in
mind here?  Certainly the client is not going to determine the
newline format for COPY TO STDOUT unless it does translation.

            regards, tom lane