Re: BUG #5234: ALTER TABLE ... RENAME COLUMN change view definition incorrectly - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5234: ALTER TABLE ... RENAME COLUMN change view definition incorrectly
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> There's another possible solution (albeit a somewhat nontrivial one)
> which came up when a bunch of us were talking about this one on IRC;
> which is to handle the problem in the view deparse: if a column used
> in a USING clause has been renamed, add an alias to the query that
> renames it back, e.g.
>   select ... from table1 as table1(v,a) join ... using (v)

Hmm.  Cute, but I wonder why we shouldn't just be throwing an error.
As I said last night, the only thing I see wrong with the current
behavior is that the error message isn't phrased in a way that makes
it obvious it's the user's fault.

            regards, tom lane