Re: connection file descriptors created with identical number after process fork on mac - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: connection file descriptors created with identical number after process fork on mac
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> writes:
> I'm writing some multi-process code in Python and trying to make sure I
> open a new connection for each process. Here's the really cut down code:
> What's really surpising to me is the output on a mac:

> $ python psycopg2_multiprocess.py
> 44276  child fd: 13
> 44277  child fd: 13
> 44278  child fd: 13
> 44279  child fd: 13

> The getpid() output indicates that the connec() call is being made
> inside a different process each time, yet the connection appears to
> still be using the same fd.

FD numbers are process-local in all flavors of Unix.  The above only
proves that all of these processes had FDs 0..12 open already, which
doesn't seem terribly surprising.

            regards, tom lane