Re: synchronous commit vs. hint bits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: synchronous commit vs. hint bits
Date
Re: synchronous commit vs. hint bits
List pgsql-hackers
> SetHintBits() can't set HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED or HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED
> hints until the commit record has been durably flushed to disk.  It
> turns out that can cause a major performance regression on systems
> with many CPU cores.

It seems to me that you've jumped to proposing solutions before you know
where the problem actually is --- or at least, if you do know where the
problem is, you didn't explain it.  Is the cost in repeating clog
lookups, or in testing to determine whether it's safe to set the bit
yet, or is it contention associated with one or the other of those?