Re: ANALYZE sampling is too good - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ANALYZE sampling is too good
Date
Re: ANALYZE sampling is too good
List pgsql-hackers
> It would be relatively easy to fix this if we trusted the number of visible
> rows in each block to be fairly constant.  But without that assumption, I
> don't see a way to fix the sample selection process without reading the
> entire table.

Yeah, varying tuple density is the weak spot in every algorithm we've
looked at.  The current code is better than what was there before, but as
you say, not perfect.  You might be entertained to look at the threads
referenced by the patch that created the current sampling method:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1tkva0h547jhomsasujt2qs7gcgg0gtvrp@email.aon.at

particularly

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/ri5u70du80gnnt326k2hhuei5nlnimonbs@email.aon.at#ri5u70du80gnnt326k2hhuei5nlnimonbs@email.aon.at

However ... where this thread started was not about trying to reduce
the remaining statistical imperfections in our existing sampling method.
It was about whether we could reduce the number of pages read for an
acceptable cost in increased statistical imperfection.