Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-02-15 10:59:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't have time right now to research it (have to go shovel snow),
>> but I think that at least some of the issue was that we needed the
>> externs when we force use of our src/port implementation.

> I think that'd be solvable easy enough if we'd just always included pg's
> getopt_long.h (or a new getopt.h) which properly deals with defining
> them when included. That'd centralize all the magic and it'd overall get
> rid of a ton of ifdefs and externs.

Yeah, there are enough copies of that stuff that centralizing them
sounds like a great idea.  Call it "pg_getopt.h", perhaps?

AFAICS, getopt_long.h just defines them unconditionally, which is
as wrong as everyplace else.  The reasonable alternatives seem to be

(1) invent pg_getopt.h, which would #include <getopt.h> if available
and then provide properly-ifdef'd externs for optarg and friends;
getopt_long.h would #include pg_getopt.h.

(2) Just do the above in getopt_long.h, and include it in the places
that currently have externs for optarg and friends.

Option (2) seems a bit odd in files that aren't actually using
getopt_long(), but it avoids making a new header file.

Preferences?