Re: --enable-integer-datetimes doc patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: --enable-integer-datetimes doc patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> I can't seem to find any documentation on the --enable-integer-
> datetimes configure option. Here's a patch that adds a very brief
> description to section 14.5 Installation Procedure, which lists the
> other config options.

Well, there is some, but I agree that it ought to be mentioned where
the other config options are listed.  Applied with additions, viz

*** doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml.orig    Sun Jun  5 00:59:44 2005
--- doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml    Sun Jun 12 11:49:15 2005
***************
*** 874,879 ****
--- 874,894 ----
        </varlistentry>

        <varlistentry>
+        <listitem>
+         <para>
+          Use 64-bit integer storage for datetimes and intervals, rather
+          than the default floating-point storage.  This reduces the range
+          of representable values but guarantees microsecond precision across
+          the full range (see <xref linkend="datatype-datetime"> for more
+          information).  Note also that the integer datetimes code is newer
+          than the floating-point code, and we still find bugs in it from time
+          to time.
+         </para>
+        </listitem>
+       </varlistentry>