Re: [GENERAL] Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kushal Vaghani
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hey Craig

I am doing a research project on a particular branch of postgreSQL and we have already had some code written on top of 8.2.4 base release few years back. I am doing some extensions to it. So thats the reason of not using the latest releases. There would be lot of extra patching etc.

I mean when i run src\tools\msvc\install.pl DESTINATION DIRECTORY, I do get 3 folder with 3 exe's in the bin directory.

So is there a script on wondows I can run to fireoff postmaster then load the new DB and connect via pgADMIN ?

Many thanks.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Craig
Ringer<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 15:25 +1000, Kushal Vaghani wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have downloaded and built the 8.2.4 postgreSQL from source. This was
>> done by running the build.bat file under src\tools\msvc. I do get a
>> few errors with some contrib projects, but I do not care about them.
>
> Why such an ancient version? Rapid improvements have been made in
> PostgreSQL's Windows support, and you'll have much better results with
> 8.4 or even 8.3 .

At the very least the most up to date version of 8.2, which is WAY
higher than .4