Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 15:25 +1000, Kushal Vaghani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded and built the 8.2.4 postgreSQL from source. This was
> done by running the build.bat file under src\tools\msvc. I do get a
> few errors with some contrib projects, but I do not care about them.

Why such an ancient version? Rapid improvements have been made in
PostgreSQL's Windows support, and you'll have much better results with
8.4 or even 8.3 .

> When i do install(install.pl), there is a destination directory
> created. Now my question is how do i run postgreSQL from within here.
> Is there a command line script etc. for this ?

Typically you'll want to create a service account for PostgreSQL, then
add a service that runs the postmaster via pg_ctl.exe under the new
service account.

If you're not comfortable doing that, perhaps you should be using the
binary installer for a recent version?

--
Craig Ringer