Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research
Date
Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Kushal Vaghani<kushalvaghani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Craig
>
> I am doing a research project on a particular branch of postgreSQL and we
> have already had some code written on top of 8.2.4 base release few years
> back. I am doing some extensions to it. So thats the reason of not using the
> latest releases. There would be lot of extra patching etc.

No, there wouldn't.  Going from 8.2.4 to 8.2.latest should be
painless, or nearly so.  It's when the first two numbers change that
behaviour changes.  Generally speaking a point release is just
security patches and bug fixes. On some very rare occasions there is
some behavioural change, but that's very rare and prominantly listed
in the release notes.