Re: BETWEEN Help - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BETWEEN Help
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yup, that's one place that will need to be taught about it.

> That was actually a reason I was wondering if it was worth changing our
> current BETWEEN code.  The optimizer already is complicated and trying
> to do BETWEEN rather than the more simpler statements didn't seem like a
> win.

Actually, an explicit representation of BETWEEN will *help* the
optimizer; right now it has to try to recognize range restrictions
by matching up '>' and '<' clauses.  That's a mess already, and I
had no intention of trying to extend that logic to recognize the
clause structures that BETWEEN SYMMETRIC would put out if it weren't
a primitive node type.  But if it's a node then recognizing it is
a no-brainer.  See clausesel.c.

            regards, tom lane