Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc
Date
Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-docs
> Oh, I think you are right.  I have reverted the patch.  Attached is
> proposed documentation for '='.

Meh.  Variable initialization is only one of multiple cases (assignment,
GET DIAGNOSTICS; maybe others, I've not examined the grammar).  Also,
if we do it like this, we're implying that both := and = are equally
preferred, which might not be the impression we want to leave.

I'd be a bit inclined to just stick a NOTE somewhere saying that "="
can be used in place of ":=" for assignment.

            regards, tom lane