Re: BUG #5102: Silent IN (list of strings) failure to detect syntax error when list is linewrapped - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5102: Silent IN (list of strings) failure to detect syntax error when list is linewrapped
Date
Re: BUG #5102: Silent IN (list of strings) failure to detect syntax error when list is linewrapped
List pgsql-bugs
... Actually, I just noticed that there *is* a bug here:

regression=# select '1' /* foo
regression*# */
regression-# '2';
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "'2'"
LINE 3: '2';
        ^
regression=#

The above should be accepted, but it isn't.  I think the problem is
here:

special_whitespace        ({space}+|{comment}{newline})

Shouldn't that be

special_whitespace        ({space}+|{comment}|{newline})

?  Although I'm not quite sure how this leads to the error, because
I didn't type anything between the second return and the '2', so in

whitespace_with_newline    ({horiz_whitespace}*{newline}{special_whitespace}*)

the {special_whitespace}* should have been satisfied with zero
repetitions no matter what.  Odd ...

            regards, tom lane