Re: troubleshooting pointers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: troubleshooting pointers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Just now I was looking for a way to propagate the necessary information
> to call ExecutorEnd() from ExecEndFunctionScan() in the case that fmgr
> doesn't. It looks like I might be able to add a member to the
> ExprContext struct for this purpose. Does this sound like the correct
> (or at least a reasonable) approach?

Yeah, this is something that's bothered me in the past: with the
existing API, a function-returning-set will not get a chance to shut
down cleanly and release resources if its result is not read all the
way to completion.  You can demonstrate the problem without any
use of the SRF patch.  Using current CVS tip (no patch), and the
regression database:

regression=# create function foo(int) returns setof int as '
regression'# select unique1 from tenk1 where unique2 > $1'
regression-# language sql;

regression=# select foo(9990) limit 4;
WARNING:  Buffer Leak: [009] (freeNext=-3, freePrev=-3, rel=16570/135224, blockNum=29, flags=0x4, refcount=1 1)
WARNING:  Buffer Leak: [021] (freeNext=-3, freePrev=-3, rel=16570/18464, blockNum=232, flags=0x4, refcount=1 1)foo
------409365876093 429
(4 rows)

I don't much care for the thought of trawling every expression tree
looking for functions-returning-set during plan shutdown, so the thought
that comes to mind is to expect functions that want a shutdown callback
to register themselves somehow.  Adding a list of callbacks to
ExprContext seems pretty reasonable, but you'd also need some link in
ReturnSetInfo to let the function find the ExprContext to register
itself with.  Then FreeExprContext would call the callbacks.

Hmm ... another advantage of doing this is that the function would be
able to find the ecxt_per_query_memory associated with the ExprContext.
That would be a Good Thing.

We should also think about the fcache (FunctionCache) struct and whether
that needs to tie into this.  See the FIXME in utils/fcache.h.