Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2024 at 11:15 PM PG Bug reporting form
> <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> The following script:
>> CREATE TABLE t(a int);
>> CREATE PUBLICATION p FOR TABLE t(a);
>>
>> ALTER PUBLICATION p SET TABLE t (a, ctid);
>> triggers
>> ERROR:  negative bitmapset member not allowed

> My fix:
> I feel the ALTER ... SET and CREATE PUBLICATION the same column list
> validation logic. But instead of cut/pasting that validation checking
> from publication_translate_columns(), attached is a diff patch that
> exposes the publication_translate_columns() so we can just call that
> same function.

Agreed on that, but shouldn't this patch also be removing some code
from the ALTER ... SET path?  Or is that part of the cleanup you
handwaved about?

> If this is deemed an acceptable fix, then I will improve on it (e.g.
> IMO publication_translate_columns can modified to return the BMS), and
> I will also add the necessary test cases.

Have at it ...

            regards, tom lane