Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane escribi�:
>> Hmm ... I would kind of think that --roles-only should suppress this too.
>> Otherwise you're going to be dumping commands that might refer to
>> nonexistent databases.

> Hmm.  The problem I have with this idea is that the only way to dump the
> per-database role settings is if you are also dumping the contents of
> all databases.  Which seems like a pain to me because the usage I
> usually recommend is to backup global objects with pg_dumpall -g.

Huh?  --globals-only would still dump them, no?

> I wonder if pg_dumpall should have a method for dumping database
> creation and settings, excluding contents (leaving that for plain
> pg_dump).

Perhaps.  People keep speculating about refactoring the division of
labor between pg_dump and pg_dumpall.  I'd advise leaving that for
a separate patch though ...