Re: BUG #5469: regexp_matches() has poor behaviour and more poor documentation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5469: regexp_matches() has poor behaviour and more poor documentation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> But actually here's an even simpler workaround, which is IMHO less
> ugly than the original one:

> SELECT foo, bar, (SELECT regexp_matches(bar, pattern)) FROM table;

Doesn't that blow up if the subselect returns more than one row?

I think you could make it work by wrapping regexp_matches in a
simple (non-SETOF) SQL function, but just writing out the sub-SELECT
doesn't do it.  This goes back to the recent discussion of why SQL
functions can't always be inlined --- the semantics are a bit
different in some cases.

            regards, tom lane