Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bogdan Pilch <bogdan@matfyz.cz> writes:
> I have created a small patch to postgres source (in particular the
> psql part of it) that accepts trailing comma at the end of list in
> SELECT statement.

This doesn't seem to me to be a remarkably good idea.  What's the
difference between this and accepting random misspellings of SELECT,
allowing mismatched parentheses in expressions, etc etc?  It's important
in a computer language to be able to catch typos.

If we were going to be lax about trailing commas, the SELECT list
would hardly be the only candidate, or even the first candidate,
for being lax that way.  But I don't want to go there.