Re: BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative time intervals - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative time intervals
Date
List pgsql-bugs
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> heh.  as an aside...  the original reason I got ON this and the jdbc
> list was due to an issue we had with an inhouse java+pgsql program when
> it was deployed in Singapore...  SGT wasn't recognized, then I
> discovered that China (another later deployment location) uses CST which
> collides with Central Standard Time and convinced the developers they
> HAD to use numeric times.

Yeah, that is a bee in my bonnet too.  We fixed a bunch of issues around
SET TIMEZONE by adopting the zic code, but there's still a hardwired
list of timezone names (or more accurately, GMT-offset names) embedded
in datetime.c for purposes of parsing datetime input strings.  We need
to make that list user-configurable.  The existing "australian_timezones"
setting is just a half-baked attempt at that.

> TIMEZONES SUCK!

Sir Arthur Clarke (he who invented the idea of geosynchronous
communications satellites) has written of a far future where everyone
on earth thinks in UTC time.  Works for me ;-) but I don't suppose the
Postgres codebase will live that long.

            regards, tom lane