Re: top posting? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Uwe Schroeder
Subject Re: top posting?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 05/06/2013 05:51:00 PM Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today
> > tools...
> > I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in
> > previous
> > century)
>
> You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
> this who (probably) read their email with pine.

I understand that there's purists out there, but seriously, pine? I stopped
using that when I had the first SPARC2 sitting on my desk and I can't even
remember when that was (1991?). Never liked pine, always used emacs (and still
do, just not for reading mail :-) )

Personally I prefer top posts for short responses to a simple issue and in-
between posts for everything more complex.

Sadly we live in a time where California already abandoned grammar and
handwriting in school and a lot of people don't have the attention span to
follow or comprehend anything beyond 128 characters. I guess in the near
future I'll be happy to read a whole sentence or - gasp - an entire paragraph;
no matter where it's posted.

So for me, either way is fine. I'll just post where others on the list want it.
It's often easier to simply follow the community in these minor issues. Nobody
wants grumpy people and if bottom posting makes them happy and I get a
qualified answer to one of my problems, then bottom posting it is :-)

Keep in mind: the advise here is free, so humor those who give it freely...