Re: top posting? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Misa Simic
Subject Re: top posting?
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:

> But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today tools...
> I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in previous
> century)

You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
this who (probably) read their email with pine.

I agree. But on the end I said "bottom posting requires a bit bigger effort to writer - but it is not that big deal if it makes anyone else happy...". So just to respect people "who (probably) read their email with pine." - I do bottom post. Who use todays tools - to them there is no difference in reading... Just measuring those two facts made bottom post winner to me...

It is funny - i have read many times in the (just) pg lists said to someone else "please don't top posting" (with link to article with explanations). I havent understood, but it was not related to topic so i made conclusion it is not relevant and i never clicked to read article about it...

Then i got private message...

When i have been asked to don't top posting, i wondered (and made research):
-what does it mean!? (Then read article about it)
(-i haven't understood article on first reading... Simply how i read messages in lists - doesnt match article story)
-how anyone noticed it !?
-then asked myself "how it is possible that just me breaks that strange rule"!? And started research - concluded: well known pg names - follow the rule - 70% not that well known names (to me) - no - so I was happy I am not the only one :)
-then asked for tools
-then tried the one - and realised problems...(and understood article in that moment)