Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question
Date
List pgsql-general
Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com> writes:
> However, once the checkpoint process begins, I get a whole flood of
> queries that take between 1 and 10 seconds to complete.  My throughput
> crashes to near nothing.  The checkpoint takes between 45 seconds and
> a minute to complete.

You sure this is 8.3?  It should spread out checkpoints over a couple of
minutes by default.  [thinks...]  Maybe you need to increase
checkpoint_segments some more.  If it's forcing the checkpoint in order
to hold down the number of WAL segments used up, that would explain a
fast checkpoint.

            regards, tom lane