Re: Can db user change own password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can db user change own password?
Date
List pgsql-general
Toomas <toomas.kristin@gmail.com> writes:
> 2) db=> select current_user, session_user;
>  current_user | session_user
> --------------+--------------
>  db_owner      | db_user
> (1 row)

Given that setup, I wonder which role you expected \password to change.

If we target the current_user, we can expect the command to succeed.
I'm just wondering if people will find that surprising.
Targeting the session_user might be less surprising (or not?)
but as this example shows, it can fail.

One thing that would help, regardless of which definition we think
is most appropriate, is to have \password explicitly say which role
it's intending to set the password for:

db=> \password
Enter new password for role "dbowner":
Enter it again: