Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date
Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
List pgsql-hackers
"Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> Could you describe bit more?  The is_visible_txid() works
> on data returned by txid_current_snapshot()?  How can there
> be any subtrans id's if txid_current_snapshot() wont return
> them?

Ah, I see: txid_current() never reports a subxact ID so there's no need to
consider them elsewhere in txids either.  OK, but this desperately needs
to be documented.

BTW, I notice that use of txid_current will force assignment of an XID
in a transaction that might not otherwise have one.  Does this matter,
or is the expectation that it's only going to be used in transactions
that are making DB modifications anyway?