Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randal T. Rioux
Subject Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, September 8, 2008 12:06 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Randal T. Rioux" <randy@procyonlabs.com> writes:
>> bash-3.00# ldd /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so
>>         libgcc_s.so.1 =>         (file not found)
>
> Smoke, meet gun ...
>
>> Now why would libssl.so not be linked to libgcc_s.so.1? Why would
>> PostgreSQL care and not Apache?
>
> Well, it is "linked", but the question is whether the dynamic linker
> can find it.  Different systems do this in different ways and I'm not
> real familiar with how Solaris does it.  The ideal thing to my mind is
> to embed a linker search path in libssl.so so that its dependencies can
> be found reliably, but I am not sure whether or how Solaris can do that.
>
> It may be that the reason Apache works is that it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> or LD_RUN_PATH or some such environment variable that the dynamic linker
> pays attention to.  I can't say that I find that a reliable or secure
> way to fix it, though.

Well, that would explain this:

-bash-3.00$ /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl
ld.so.1: openssl: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or
directory
Killed

Apache compiled with it, but yes - I looked through the scripts and
configure logs and the paths were set by it correctly.

I will mess with it more tonight and report my findings. Again, thanks for
listening to me think out loud :-)

Randy