Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> So the case where pg_migrator still fails is when the .sql file of the
>> module has changed in a way that restoring what pg_dump gives no longer
>> match what the .so exposes, or if the new .so is non backward
>> compatible?

> Yes, that is a problem.  It is not a pg_migrator-specific problem
> because people traditionally bring the /contrib schema over from the old
> install (I think).  The only pg_migrator-specific failure is when the
> data format changed and dump/restore would fix it, but pg_migrator would
> migrate corrupt data.  :-(

There is a different problem though: sometimes the recommended fix for
contrib-module incompatibilities is to load the new contrib module into
the target database before trying to load your old dump file.  (We told
people to do that for 8.2->8.3 tsearch2, for example.)  In the
pg_migrator context there is no way to insert the new contrib module
first, and also no way to ignore the duplicate-object errors that you
typically get while loading the old dump.

It would probably be a relatively simple feature addition to teach
pg_migrator to load such-and-such modules into the new databases before
letting it ignore errors, so there doesn't seem to be any good solution
to this type of migration scenario.