Re: 8.0.2beta1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.0.2beta1
Date
Re: 8.0.2beta1  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
"Cristian Prieto" <cristian@clickdiario.com> writes:
> What are the differences, bugfixes, features, etc in the 8.0.2beta1? I =
> was looking around and I couldn't find anything related... Could =
> somebody help me?

Unfortunately we haven't prepared release notes yet.  If you want to do
testing, what I would look for is performance changes.  The main stuff
in 8.0.2 (other than bugfixes for very specific bugs) is:

* Replace ARC buffer management algorithm by 2Q to avoid pending IBM patent.
  Testing so far says this causes a few percent degradation in some
  cases and no visible impact in others.  We'd be interested to hear
  more reports.

* Planner tweaks to avoid bad side-effects of the 8.0 change that made
  the planner use the current physical table size instead of what
  pg_class.relpages says.  That's usually a win but caused problems if
  a plan is cached when the table is first created (and so is empty).

            regards, tom lane