Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> My perspective is that if both SmartOS and OmniOS pass, it's not our
>> responsibility to support OldSolaris if they won't update libraries.

> Obviously I especially don't want to double the number of strxfrm()
> calls made during text abbreviation for *everyone* just to work around
> this silly bug. Those calls will generally be a large fraction of the
> cost of any text sort in 9.5, so clearly that would be unacceptable.

I agree, but ...

> Maybe Noah should commit a patch that makes the initial size of the
> buffer that stores the transformed string blob very small. This can be
> reverted once it has some buildfarm cycles. That is a bit of a scatter
> gun approach, but maybe that's inevitable given the paucity of
> information around the issue.

Another idea would be to make a test during postmaster start to see
if this bug exists, and fail if so.  I'm generally on board with the
thought that we don't need to work on systems with such a bad bug,
but it would be a good thing if the failure was clean and produced
a helpful error message, rather than looking like a Postgres bug.