Re: plpython crash on exception - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plpython crash on exception
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> On 11/23/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Why?  I can't imagine any real use for it.  If you're thinking that
>> it could provide a guide as to what to resize the buffer to, think
>> again.

>  If the output was truncated due to this limit then the return
>  value is the number of characters (not including the trailing
>  '\0') which would have been written to the final string if
>  enough space had  been  available.

> What problem do you see?

The problem is that you are quoting from some particular system's
manual, and not any kind of standard ... much less any standard that
every platform we support follows.

The real-world situation is that we are lucky to be able to tell
vsnprintf success from failure at all :-(

            regards, tom lane