Re: trigger TOASTing quicker? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: trigger TOASTing quicker?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I beleive you can set it to EXTERNAL, which it will always toast.

I don't think that will help; if the overall row size is below the
threshold, the code is not going to pick it apart to see if anything
is saying "toast me anyway!".  And it shouldn't do so IMHO; the overall
cost in cycles would be catastrophic, because most tables aren't going
to have such columns.

There was discussion just yesterday of making the TOAST thresholds
more configurable, but I didn't see anyone stepping up with a
concrete proposal (much less volunteering to create a patch).

            regards, tom lane