Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: getting execution plans with multiple database connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: getting execution plans with multiple database connections
Date
List pgsql-general
Jenny Zhang <jenny@osdl.org> writes:
> And I still have the same problem.  Since PG should fail if no more
> files can be opened, my test should fail.  But I got all the other
> results back at the end of the run.

No, you miss my point.  Usually PG will *not* fail when it hits ENFILE.
The code is designed to close other open files until it can successfully
open the required file.  Only a freshly-started backend (with no pool of
already-open files) is likely to report any actual failure from ENFILE.

So a database under load can run quite happily when there are zero free
file table slots in the kernel --- but everything else in the system is
likely to show random failures.

            regards, tom lane