Re: BUG #8613: getting null when null is concatenated with string - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #8613: getting null when null is concatenated with string
Date
List pgsql-bugs
rajasekhar5c1@gmail.com writes:
> when i fire below query on one of our servers
>      select null || 'query' ,'|'
> the result is null nothing is displayed

That's the expected result.

> when i fire the same query on another server which has same version of
> postgresql server i am getting result as
>  query

Interesting.  I think this is what would be expected in Oracle, which
thinks that null and empty string are the same thing.

> postgres version on both servers are
> 1) EnterpriseDB 9.2.1.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
> 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-52), 32-bit 2) EnterpriseDB 9.2.1.3 on
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
> 4.1.2-52), 64-bit

Well, I think you'd need to take that up with EnterpriseDB.  I don't
know anything about what they do to Postgres' null handling, but it
wouldn't surprise me to hear that they've kluged it up to more nearly
match Oracle's non-standards-compliant behavior.

            regards, tom lane