Re: Using generate_series to create a unique ID in a query? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Using generate_series to create a unique ID in a query?
Date
List pgsql-general
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:26:52AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That's a fairly ugly/messy way of doing it.  If you're going to need a C
>> function anyway, why not just do it directly?  As in the attachment.

> actually you dont have to do it in c.
> alec pointed (in comments) that there already is statement_timestamp()
> function, so you can remove the c code, and use statement_timestamp()
> instead of get_statement_timestamp().

Using statement_timestamp that way at all is pretty horrid, because
it has approximately zip to do with the concept of a query.  For
instance your approach would fail in a query used inside a function that
is called more than once in a user-issued command.  Nor do I care for
the idea that the user should have to assign a distinct name to each
use of the function.  Lastly, statement_timestamp isn't there at all
before 8.2 ...

            regards, tom lane