Re: pg_migrator issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was just really asking if disallowing pg_resetxlog -n on a live server
> is planned behavior or an oversight.  I can see the logic that it should
> be disallowed but I am just looking for confirmation from someone and I
> can then drop the issue.

Well, it's not only a matter of "are we going to clobber live state",
it's also "is the state that we are looking at changing under us?".
The -n switch only covers the first point.  I think it would require
some careful analysis, and testing that's never been done, before having
any confidence in the results of pg_resetxlog on a live server.

Why should you need this anyway?  pg_migrator should not be having to
run pg_resetxlog on the old installation, I would think.