Re: memory leaks? using savepoint - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: memory leaks? using savepoint
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Are you saying that this problem does not exist in 8.3.0 but does
> exist in later 8.3.x revs?

I believe it dates from

Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Branch: master Release: REL8_4_BR [c98a92378] 2008-12-13 02:00:20 +0000
Branch: REL8_3_STABLE Release: REL8_3_6 [8d1d6019d] 2008-12-13 02:00:30 +0000
Branch: REL8_2_STABLE Release: REL8_2_12 [7ae3c0f67] 2008-12-13 02:00:53 +0000

    Fix failure to ensure that a snapshot is available to datatype input functions
    when they are invoked by the parser.  We had been setting up a snapshot at
    plan time but really it needs to be done earlier, before parse analysis.
    Per report from Dmitry Koterov.

    Also fix two related problems discovered while poking at this one:
    exec_bind_message called datatype input functions without establishing a
    snapshot, and SET CONSTRAINTS IMMEDIATE could call trigger functions without
    establishing a snapshot.

    Backpatch to 8.2.  The underlying problem goes much further back, but it is
    masked in 8.1 and before because we didn't attempt to invoke domain check
    constraints within datatype input.  It would only be exposed if a C-language
    datatype input function used the snapshot; which evidently none do, or we'd
    have heard complaints sooner.  Since this code has changed a lot over time,
    a back-patch is hardly risk-free, and so I'm disinclined to patch further
    than absolutely necessary.

So if we take the complaint seriously, we'd better patch 8.2 as well.

            regards, tom lane