Re: REINDEX question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: REINDEX question
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Mark Steben" <msteben@autorevenue.com> writes:
> We are at Postgres 7.4.5.  I  have encountered inaccuracies
>  after reindexing related to the statistics posted back to the PG_CLASS
> table

reindex enters the exact number of tuples indexed into
pg_class.reltuples.  If there are more than you expect, that says there
are some dead-but-not-removable tuples in the relation.  Check for old
open transactions that might still be able to see old versions of rows.

VACUUM VERBOSE should report the same number of unremovable rows BTW.

            regards, tom lane