Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:00:52AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> at this point, you can see, we've squarely left O(N) country, and
>> entered the vast O(N^2) waste.

> OK, I got it now. :-)  Here is the new item:

>         Improve table creation speed in sessions that reference many
>         relations (Aleksander Alekseev)

That's not specifically about table creation.  How about
Reduce statistics tracking overhead in sessions that referencemany thousands of relations (Aleksander Alekseev)

I think it is fair, based on Andres' example, to quantify this as not
being of much interest till you get to thousands of relations.  But
it would matter for any action that creates a statistics report,
whether it be scans, inserts, updates, deletes ...